New Hampshire Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Contributed by: Brieanna Pettengill, Manager

Are you a tenant who has been affected by COVID-19 and are you experiencing difficulty paying rent or utilities?   

Are you a landlord with tenants that are behind in paying rent due to COVID-19?

The New Hampshire Emergency Rental Assistance Program (NHERAP) may be able to help.

The program is designed to help eligible New Hampshire residents who cannot pay their rent and utilities (past due, current, and future) as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic Landlords can also start the process by submitting the tenant’s application with their signature, a copy of the lease, documentation of any arrearages, and any documentation of the tenant’s income that you have. The New Hampshire Community Action Partnership agency will contact your tenant to complete the application process.

Who Qualifies?
As of October 1, 2021, eligibility guidelines for the NH Emergency Rental Assistance Program state include:

  • Households may qualify for assistance for past-due and future rent and utility payments, not to exceed 12 months (or 15 months when necessary to ensure housing stability, subject to funding availability).
  • Ability to demonstrate financial hardship due directly or indirectly to the COVID-19 pandemic and:
  1. Meet certain income guidelines
  2. Had your income reduced or incurred significant costs or experienced financial hardship during the pandemic
  3. Show you are at risk for homelessness, that you pay more than 30% of your income for rent and utilities, or that you might lose your housing

What is Covered?
Past and future rent, utilities, home heating costs, water, sewer, trash, and other household costs.

Application Information:
The funds in the program are administered by New Hampshire Housing Finance Authority (NHHFA), in collaboration with the Governor’s Office for Emergency Relief and Recovery (GOFERR) and the Community Action Partnership agencies.

Eligible residents can apply online here: Applications will be accepted in the order in which they are received. Your CAP agency will assist you in identifying the proper documentation and information you need.

For assistance or for more information: (find the local CAP agency near you: or call 2-1-1. You can also check out these helpful FAQs: